Friday, February 04, 2005

Intarsia Hell

So I'm I new knitter, right? 3 months and counting. I told my 4 year old that I'd make her the punk rock backpack from the first SnB but of course she didn't want the bunny or monkey face on hers - she wanted a kitty.

Using the knitter's graph paper I made I designed a kitty face for her and figured 'how hard can it be?' Anyway, it's going alright but it's definitely more challenging than I thought it would be.

My advice to other new knitters thinking about intarsia? Start with a square in another square - 2 colors, easy.



4 Comments:

Blogger spiritjess said...

Yes, intersia can be HELL! The best thing to do when working a pattern with intersia is to only do intersia in spots where you have large chuncks of color, and then in areas where you have small amonunts of color, for instance the kitty whiskers in Em's pattern, do something called duplicate stich after you have knitted up your piece. It's pretty easy,it's a way of embrodering on knitting that looks just like knitting. There should be instructions on how to do it on a how-to knitting web site somewhereout there...

8:56 AM  
Blogger E to the M said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:22 PM  
Blogger E to the M said...

Jess, I came to the same conclusion right after I finished the cat and looked at the mess on the WS of my knitting. It would have been much easier to intarsia the main color, the main cat color, the black outline and the purple heart. All of the cat detailing could have easily been done with a needle and some yarn.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Reba said...

You COULD always start over....yeah, right!

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home