Friday, September 30, 2005
Thursday, September 29, 2005
Wednesday, September 28, 2005
I want her to be our friend.
This knitting blog titled, "Pesky'apostrophe: always better than an unexpected period" is kinda hip, kinda snarky and I am now this woman's friend (even if she doesn't know it yet). I mean, not only is she a knitter, she knows about national talk like a pirate day and she's a pastafarian! Cool.
Why you gotta be like that?
This guy has issues.
Sunday, September 25, 2005
A Girl's Best Friend
I finally started working on the Marilyn sweater this Saturday. I know what the girls over at You Knit What said but I already bought the expensive yarn and have to do it. I may enlist the help of Jess B or the other Emily S to help me rework the collar - I'm thinking a cowl may be more flattering for those of us that can't see their toes.
Progress as of Sunday night? Two sleeves and a cable swatch as I've never knit any cables before.
Saturday, September 17, 2005
This pattern post is special for Ami the Red, my mostest favorite science nerd.
Friday, September 16, 2005
I know that the whole point over at You Knit What is to point out the horrendous, the ugly, the shameful in fiber but this leaves me absolutely speechless.
Thursday, September 15, 2005
Who Am I?
I completely forgot to post my Secret Pal questionnaire to give my pal an idea of who I am and what I like. As a bonus it'll probably get rid of that creepy pic from Germany. If you already know me or just don't care, skip this post.
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
I don't really care what brand it is as long as it doesn't feel like sandpaper against my skin. That being said I do tend to gravitate toward more natural fibers.
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
Not yet but I'd love to learn to crochet.
3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
4. How long have you been knitting?
I learned when I was a kid and picked it p for a minute when I was pregnant but didn't become obsessive or really even very interested until about a year ago.
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes but I don't think there's anything knitting related on there.
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
I like lavender, I like Skin Trip coconut lotion because it reminds me of my mom when I was a kid. I tend to like darker scents, sagey, musky (not too musky!), sandalwoody, Nag Champa kind of smells.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
Yes, I like milk chocolate, almost anything with nuts, good coffee.
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
Well, after work, parenting, and homework the only DIY thing I can manage is dragging my ass to bed.
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like everything, well everything that doesn't suck. But seriously Fear Factor to Common, Amiel to Emmy Lou Harris, Nikka Costa to Super Cat, Miles Davis to Stereolab - I like it all. Yes my computer can play MP3s.
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
Orange is my favorite color but I don't think my own coloring lends to my being able to really wear it. What's the new black this season? Maybe that will be my new favorite! *snark* There aren't really colors I don't like except maybe dusty rose.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I'm single with a daughter who turns five on 18/9. We have 2 cats only one of which goes outside.
12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
To be able to take naps, to not get so wrapped up in what I think I'm supposed to be doing that I miss out on my daughter's life, to be a super math nerd.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
I don't know that I have a favorite; Lamb's Pride is probably what I use most often. They have some yard made out of bamboo at my LYS that seems soft I may try soon.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Eyelash was fun for a minute but I'm pretty much over that one. I'm not a fan of a lot of acrylic but I have come across yarn that was secretly* acrylic that I liked.
*I would have sworn that the yarn was a natural fiber but it was just undercover.
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
I've done two first socks and that's going well, winter is creeping up so hats will come back into the mix, I'd like to make a pair of gloves (for the first time) this winter and finally do a whole sweater. I always love to felt.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I don't know
17. What are you knitting right now?
2 scarves, some socks and a hat.
18. What do you think about ponchos?
I prefer wraps but some ponchos are nice.
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
It depends on the job.
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I use bamboo mostly but I do own both plastic and aluminum.
21. Are you a sock knitter?
22. How did you learn to knit?
Most recently I bought some books, ask my friend Jessica (who's been knitting since she was 5), and got together for a SnB at my house.
23. How old is your oldest UFO?
I have a scarf I work on when I have no other projects, that one is probably 4 or 5 months old.
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
Hello Kitty is my favorite animated character. My favorite animals are frogs and octopuses (but realistic ones, not cartoony).
25. What is your favorite holiday?
Winter Solstice because we all get together to hang out, open gifts, and eat my mom's yummy grits for breakfast.
26. Is there anything that you collect?
I try not to do a ton of collecting because I have enough stuff but anything that catches my eye has the potential, I like dark woods, boxes, random trinkets from India, and I could go on and on, it's more about the item than the completion of or addition to a collection.
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?
My friend just got That Darn Yarn from her Secret Pal and it looks great. Last Minute Knitted Gifts looks interesting as does Weekend Knitting. Nicky Epstein seems to have some good books out. I also like the Yarn Girls and while I could go on forever, there's not anything I've been dying to get my hands on.
29. Any patterns you have been coveting, but haven't bought for one reason or another??
Not right now, the internet and one click shopping mean that my impulsiveness take care of that most times.
Wednesday, September 14, 2005
Crazy Aunt Purl
Monday, September 12, 2005
Gluttony For Knitters & Yarn Hoes
My New Goal
So even though I haven't been doing a lot of knitting I do have a new Knit Knerds oriented goal. I am going to scour the web for knitting stories and link and anything else I can find so enough posts get on the blog to knock Bill's AAARRGH! post off the front page. No offense Bill, it was a great post but I just can't take it any more...
Thursday, September 08, 2005
Bizarre knit sculptures
Billnotem here. Check these out.